POET Server: Sanctum of Rall

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Paladins of Eternal Truth [POET] Forum Index -> The Tavern Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic   Goto page 1, 2  Next
Hindemith
[POET] Knight
Laureate

re: Star Wars: The Old Republic

So I decided to check SW:ToR when it went free to play. It's actually pretty awesome. Nothing groundbreaking, but the story is absolutely amazing. I highly suggest you guys check it out if you have the chance. Seriously. It puts GW2 to shame.

I'm currently on the Shadowlands server. What kinda stinks is that everything is divided into Republic or Imperial. If you're playing a Republic character, you can't see any of your friends that are playing Imperial. So here are all my characters, if you want to find me. Happy

Republic - Sohna, Lirdelle and Taurik

Imperial - Zarebina, Denravi and Aaltje

Let me know if you decide to check it out!

Theron Aquila
[NICE] Member
Philosopher

Awarded:

I actually downloaded the game but haven't checked out anything besides the jedi tutorial.

But yeah from my understanding gameplay is basically WoW with lightsabers but the main attraction is the story which is really good.

Patrick Mageheart
Patrick Mageheart
[NICE] Member
Balladist

I will download and check out the game very soon!

EDIT: i downloaded the game. I have just 1 republic character ATM named Mag'ar. Will probobly make a 2nd sith character at some point i think.
Theron Aquila
[NICE] Member
Philosopher

Awarded:

I now have two Republic characters.

Cha'ra - Jedi Knight
Aquilae - Smuggler

Obviously my intended names were already taken. Truth be told I don't care much for playing evil factions but if I ever upgrade my account I just might have to make an Imperial.

Hindemith
[POET] Knight
Laureate

The Imperial side has amazing stories. The Sith Warrior story... Wow.

I'll add you to my friend's list, Theron and Patrick. Hopefully I'll see you in game! Happy

Theron Aquila
[NICE] Member
Philosopher

Awarded:

Well since it's a Star Wars game I am compelled to play a Jedi and it's actually fun role-playing as a jerk smuggler who only cares about money.

If I like the game enough to upgrade I'll defiantly make a Sith then.

Sir Beregond
[NICE] Officer
Laureate

Awarded:

So I downloaded the game, intrigued by Sonya's indication of an amazing story (love awesome stories).

Republic: Helvidius - Jedi Shadow
Imperial: Tryrinn - Imperial Agent

photo signature-Q6WQV2LH.png
Lest we forget, remember The Searing.
My name is Sir Helvidius, descendant of Sir Beregond. I will see Ascalon liberated of the charr scourge.
Liara Natiri
[POET] Knight
Playwright

Awarded:

The more disappointed I get with GW2 and ArenaNet's lies, the more I think I need to branch out my gaming a bit. Perhaps I'll download this game. I'll keep you posted.

Balladist

Liara Natiri wrote:
The more disappointed I get with GW2 and ArenaNet's lies, the more I think I need to branch out my gaming a bit. Perhaps I'll download this game. I'll keep you posted.

Sorry to hear your dissapointed with GW2 and arenanet. I hope future updates will remedy that! Through to be honest, i fail to understand exactly what you mean by arenanets lie.

The only thing i can see that might be considered a lie is what they said about guild missions...i think the information they gave was a bit misleading and didn't do a good job communicating it as they could have but i honestly dont believe arenanet has ever lied to us.

But it sounds like you might need a break from gw2 liara to play other games....the nice thing about guild wars 2 is that you can take a break and come back to it since theres no subscription fees. And swtor is a good mmo to play if you want to play an mmo but dont feel like playing gw2.
Liara Natiri
[POET] Knight
Playwright

Awarded:

They said that it wouldn't be a gearwheel with lots of grinding. Ascended gear (with the laurel update) already appears to be the new gear level and the game hasn't even been out a year yet. I'm sure more & more levels of gear will be added.

They said we could use any combo of professions & get dungeons done, but if you don't have melee & DPS, you're not getting them done...especially not the really hard paths (and you may not need this for the easier paths but it sure is going to take a lot longer to complete).

And yes, I am extremely disappointed in the requirement for the first guild mission. 66,500 influence is needed (between getting to Art of War level 5 plus the influence to actually queue up the bounty) for PvE content that really penalizes small guilds. Why PvE content would need a PvP requirement is beyond me. The items under Art of War aren't even that helpful for small PvP guilds as you need a really big group to make most of them worthwhile.

Plus, the whole belonging to multiple guilds thing hurts small guilds more because not everyone represents that guild all the time. I wish they'd kept it to only belonging to one guild but allowing alliances as they did in GW1. Then we could stay a small guild, but still have allies to do things with when we needed bigger groups. The way they've set it up, it is really hard to be successful as a smaller guild.

Balladist

Liara Natiri wrote:
They said that it wouldn't be a gearwheel with lots of grinding. Ascended gear (with the laurel update) already appears to be the new gear level and the game hasn't even been out a year yet. I'm sure more & more levels of gear will be added.

When people made a big stink about ascended gear when it was first released, arenanet said they wouldnt be releasing any new levels of gear unless its in a meaningful way so it doesnt feel like a grind. Im sure We dont have worry about more levels of gear for a long while...at least until 2014.

Also Ascended gear is mainly for fractals. So its an optional tier. This has been out since lost shores, laurels is just another way to earn it so people dont feel like they have to do fractals to get ascended gear.

To be honest, i think the main problem is arenanet is spread a bit thin and its going to be a while before the game is good enough to be steadily pleasing to pve,wvw and pvp players. Also the past couple updates havent been as exciting as previous content updates. I still have faith in arenanet and can see they are listening to players and trying hard to make it the best mmo they can!
Sir Beregond
[NICE] Officer
Laureate

Awarded:

Good points Liara.

I more or less couldn't care less about the ascended gear.

But I am extremely disappointed in how these guild missions work. With the kind of influence required, how can small guilds realistically hope to achieve them without massive farming, or massive amount of time gaining influence, assuming people are even representing?

And I absolutely abhor how the guild system works in general. I don't like that you can be in multiple guilds and I don't like that there isn't an alliance system. I've hated it from the start. It trivializes guild loyalty or completely eliminates it, it penalizes small guilds in terms of gaining influence, and if you have 5 members on and 3 are representing other guilds, that's 60% of the guild right there. They should have instead found ways to expand and improve upon the guild alliance system from GW1. With an alliance, you can be online at a time when the rest of the guild is offline, but you have an alliance to branch out and do things with, and when people in the guild start coming online, you are still in contact with them and not completely cut off like you would by representing another guild with the current system. There's times I come on and 8 other people are on and not a single one representing, and I wonder why I even bother to play. There's people that haven't represented in months. I see that and I usually log off. I didn't come to play a single player game, and I didn't start playing so that I have to start looking at other guilds to find people. POET has been my guild for 7 years. I want my efforts to be with POET. And I don't like seeing guilds just turn into a hub. Sorry for ranting, but what you are saying Liara really hits close to what matters to me in this game which is my friends (you guys) and people in general, and where this game is at now with guilds just pisses me off. Its even tougher here to be POET than it was in GW1.

photo signature-Q6WQV2LH.png
Lest we forget, remember The Searing.
My name is Sir Helvidius, descendant of Sir Beregond. I will see Ascalon liberated of the charr scourge.
Patrick Mageheart
Patrick Mageheart
[NICE] Member
Balladist

Sir Beregond wrote:
Good points Liara.
Sorry for ranting, but what you are saying Liara really hits close to what matters to me in this game which is my friends (you guys) and people in general, and where this game is at now with guilds just pisses me off. Its even tougher here to be POET than it was in GW1.

It really hit close to home for me too...im saddened by the lack of POET activity. I think the issue is we need some new exciting content to motivate people to play...guild missions seemed like it would be that content,but i was mistaken.

The good news is...next content update should get POET back to being active again hopefully! The living story content so far has been teaser content....the next content update is when living story will start to get exciting it looks like!
Theron Aquila
[NICE] Member
Philosopher

Awarded:

I'm disappointed with the guild system as well but what can we do about it? Complaining and ranting isn't going to change the way the game works. I get what Arenanet was going for but they didn't consider how this would hurt certain guilds.

I mean I love the combat in GW2 and the game is a lot of fun but, honestly I'm just at a point that I feel like I have nothing left to do in the game. I got three characters to level 80 and while I do want to work on my alts I've done just about all the content so the idea of working on another character to level 80 feels like a grind, which is what ANet said GW2 wouldn't have. The one thing I feel like I'm missing is the Durmand Priory story but after that, then what? I feel like I have no reason to play the game until we get an expansion pack or a major content update.

A year ago I had so much passion for this game and now I think about Guild Wars 2 I just go, "meh."

Hindemith
[POET] Knight
Laureate

Quote:
A year ago I had so much passion for this game and now I think about Guild Wars 2 I just go, "meh."

That is exactly how I feel. It absolutely amazes me how I just don't care about the game right now.

That being said, I'm still having a blast with Star Wars, guys. Once my dad recovers a bit more (he had his big surgery two weeks ago) I'm gonna start looking for a guild. In the mean time, I can always set up a temp guild so we can all talk.

Main characters you can find me on now are Aaltje (Imperial), Denravi (Imperial) and Delaene (Republic).

Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Paladins of Eternal Truth [POET] Forum Index -> The Tavern Archive All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: